Monday, February 28, 2011

NAVY PEOPLE: BACK FROM PIRATE PATROL


It has been a while since Ben McGregor, 34, padded up and took guard at the crease at Miranda Magpies cricket club.
On 18th February he and his 190 shipmates aboard HMAS Melbourne returned from six months pirate patrol off the Horn of Africa.
Ben is a supervisor in the frigate’s Operations Room with the rank of Petty Officer. His job is to ensure the tactical picture is always up to date, using sensor information from sonar, radar and satellite.
Melbourne’s Commanding Officer is then able to respond to any threats, utilising the variety of weapon systems such as guns, missiles or aircraft to defend the ship or take action against pirates.
This has been Ben’s third Middle East deployment.
“We are making a real difference on curbing narcotics smuggling that would ultimately go on to fund terrorist activity.”
There’s plenty of chances to go ashore too. “I’ve visited many countries I never would have thought possible. I have been to Bahrain, Jordan, Sri Lanka and Dubai to name a few, and met all types of interesting people along the way.”
“My longer term goal is to rise to the rank of Warrant Officer, and along the way, pass on all that I’ve learnt to the new generations joining the Navy.”
But for now, Ben is looking forward to some serious chill-out time.
“I can’t wait to be able to spend time with my wife Bec and daughter Rose, and of course watch my beloved Cronulla Sharks win the grand final!”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...